One of the most rewarding ways to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters is to work with us. A career with Big Brothers Big Sisters is an opportunity to merge your talents and personal values with your desire to make a difference.
Every day, we are changing the perspectives of children and enabling them to see the world around them in a more positive light. With that newfound point of view, they can see their potential more clearly and dream bigger about their future. Our success is a result of committed and inspired employees, working together to make a lasting impact on America’s youth, schools, and communities.
An Opportunity for Growth
That’s obviously true for the children we serve. But it’s also true within our organization. We need talented and passionate people in a variety of areas including Executive Leadership, Fund Development, Program Management, Marketing and Communications, Human Resources, Finance, and Information Technology.
We are committed to a diverse workforce with representation from every walk of life. We recognize how our organization is greatly enhanced when we unite people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Virginia is a one to one mentoring organization serving children facing adversity. The agency has a growth goal of matching 425 children in one to one mentoring programs by December 31, 2017. The budget for fiscal year 2018 is $725,000. Our agency is an affiliate of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and we are located in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful area supported by generous donors.
The Director of Development serves as lead strategist for agency fund development, helping the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors create a multi-year plan for increasing voluntary revenue which supports the agency’s plans for aggressive growth. The Director of Development is responsible for securing the agency’s revenue.
Key elements of the agency fund development program include: donor acquisition and fund-raising events; an annual giving program; grant writing; major gifts from individuals; and corporate and foundation giving. Supporting elements include: donor stewardship; gift entry and acknowledgement; database management; and donor research.
It is our strategic direction to grow the development team to include additional staff members. We are seeking an individual who is fearless and willing to think outside of traditional fundraising ideas box.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Setting and achieving, in close collaboration with the chief executive, multi-year and annual agency revenue goals.
- Developing and implementing a written plan for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual, foundation and corporate potential donors capable of giving $1,000 and more over time.
- Supporting the CEO’s major gift work with top prospects.
- Personally, writing and securing grant funding to support the revenue line item on the revenue budget.
- Building and staffing an engaged giving and getting Board Fund Development Committee.
- Developing demonstrable understanding of special events and various other event programs.
- Supervising donor stewardship, information systems (gift entry; database management; report generation), and prospect research.
- Developing and implementing a bequest program.
- Serving as a vital member of the leadership team by staying abreast of organization-wide issues and contributing to the development and achievement of the agency’s long-term vision and short-term operating plans.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Management experience w/ at least 2 direct reports.
- Demonstrated personal solicitation success.
- A proven track record as major gift officer and manager integrity.
- Proven grant writing success.
- Demonstrated strategic agility.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Pays attention to details.
Routine office environment.
Flexible work hours to meet donors' needs.
- $45,000 -$50,000
Health/dental insurance, paid time off, and holidays.
To apply for the positon of Development Director please email a cover letter along with your resume to June House at firstname.lastname@example.org.