In addition to Bigs in Blue and Bigs with Badges, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Virginia offers the following programs:
- Match Up
- The Oliver Hill Mentoring Program
- Outdoor Explorers
Discover the kid in yourself again! In this program, Bigs and Littles are matched in a one-to-one relationship and see each other at least every other week for an outing in the community. The time, place, and activity are mutually agreed upon between the volunteer and the family. The activities might include going to the park, playing basketball, visiting the library, baking cookies, or just spending time talking together. The volunteer is responsible for transporting the child to and from the child’s home for the outing. Commitment: One year with a minimum of bi-weekly visits.
This program is in partnership with Carilion Clinic and will take place outside of the school setting. Bigs and Littles will meet twice a month for a few hours at a time to do activities and build their friendships. Our focus will be one-to-one mentoring relationships with an emphasis on health, fitness and wellness. Our goal is to match 20 students for a minimum of one year, from Fallon Park Elementary, with caring adult role models who have a special interest in health, fitness and wellness.
The Oliver Hill Mentoring Program
The Oliver Hill Mentoring Program is named in honor of Oliver W. Hill, a Roanoke native and civil rights attorney at the forefront of public school desegregation. His values of equality and education are the core principles of the Oliver Hill Mentoring Program. In this program, volunteers and children are matched in one-to-one relationships and visit with each other for one hour weekly at the Oliver Hill house, located at 401 Gilmer Ave. During this hour, the match activities might include playing board games, visiting the library, doing homework, taking part in special interest programs, or simply hanging out and talking. Visits are scheduled on a set day and time; Monday-Thursday between 5pm-6pm. Commitment: One year, one hour weekly.
BBBS has partnered with Roanoke Outside to develop a collection of activities that engage Bigs and Littles with the outdoors. The activities might include hiking, canoeing, and caving. Activities are planned one year in advance so Bigs/Littles will already have a schedule in place. Activities will take place one Saturday a month, for 12 months. A BBBS staff member will lead each activity.
- April 14, 2018- 1:30 Combined Picnic with first OEMP cohort.
- May 12, 2018- Camp Roanoke
- June 16, 2018- Mill Mountain and Zoo
- July 14, 2018- Tubing the Roanoke River with Roanoke Mountain Adventures
- August 11, 2018- Canoeing Explore Park
- September 15, 2018- Climbing Wall at River Rock
- October 13, 2018- Go Outside Festival
- November 10, 2018- Caving
- December 15, 2018- Ice Skating at Elmwood Park
- January 12, 2019- Mill Mtn. Discovery Center
- February 16, 2019- Liberty Mountain Snowflex
- March 9, 2019- Stargazing on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Pizza Party
- April 13, 2019- Hike McAfee Knob and Picnic